Saturday 13 November 2010

Textual analysis - previous student work

Beastie Boys - Triple Trouble


Strengths:
• Really good variety of shots
• I like the shot of the billboard
• Lip syncing has been well done
• The two-shot of the same guy
• Variety of locations
• Very quick and smooth editing
• Split screen shots
Weaknesses:
• The sped-up shot at the beginning should have matched the pace of the music
• The colours added in post-production could have been a bit sharper in places
• The sets of three images
• I don’t like the way they’ve changed the colour of their skin during the post-production

I really like this music video and it's one of the best that I've ever seen to come out of Thurston. I think it's good how they've stuck to performance throughout the video and not added in any other characters as such (other than the London "statues"). It's a fun video and that's what I want to achieve with mine. After seeing this video, I don't want to add in colour post-production as I want it to feel natural, also, mine will be narrative performance rather than performance.

Puretone - Addicted to Bass


Strengths:
• Good lip syncing
• I like the sped-up shots of the cars
• The fast paced editing over the instrumental shots where it switches scenes in quick succession
• The layered shots that show the girl in more than one place at one time
• The fast paced editing that moves the girl from one place to another within the same shot
Weaknesses:
• Some of the outside shots are a bit too dark so you can’t see her face
• I don’t like the shots filmed in the white room, they seem a bit disjointed from the narrative
• Mainly filmed in mid-shots

This is a good video but I think it could've done with having a few other people in it as well, just to create some variation. By filming outside in the dark, some of the shots haven't come out very well and the shots filmed near street lamps have cast a yellow glow which I don't think suits the video very well. Because of this, I shall film my outside shots in the daytime so that I am using naturalistic lighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment